Saturday 29 September 2007

What a Find....Singer 201K

I have to share this ladies and gents. I have the find of the year. Thanks to my endurance searching ebay for different things I am on the hunt for I have HIT THE JACKPOT!!!










Introducing my new baby - the Singer 201K (circa 1930-1950 - haven't been able to ascertain the year yet). I had been watching this fantastic piece of furniture, machine and bits to go with it for a couple of days. Usually the Singer machines (no matter what condition) go for at least $100. So here I am busily keeping an eye on this auction. I was there for the last hour - checking and rechecking - no bidders!!! Well I put my bid in a minute or two before it was to end and I got this baby for $5.00. I was so excited. Doing a dance - running (yes running) up and down the house - went and woke up my sick husband (nothing serious just man-flu) - I WON! I WON! I WON!. I rang my mum who promptly told me not to touch it (asthetically - which was my intention as I wanted it for a piece of furniture as well). I am under strict instructions to clean it only and oil the wood. Mum is an Antiques Roadshow fan and said that I may devalue it if I do anything to it. I can't wait to pick it up. I can't wait to go through all her bits & bobs - all those orginial tools and bits for the machine - WOW!!! Her name is "Betsy".

I did feel a bit bad but the lady who sold it didn't seem upset it only went for $5.00. I think it must have been listed in the wrong category and that's why she had no lookers. My first antique - how exciting. By the way did I tell you I was excited!!! :-).

Well I'm a bit naughty - it's 2.45am Saturday morning. I have just finished all my packing for our trip tomorrow and our lovely friends Alison, Dave and their kiddlies (Jack & Mollie) are going to join us for a night. Then on Sunday we will be going to Byron Bay for the day with them. I am imagining myself sitting at Strop's bar having a glass of bubbles or a lovely ice cold Crownie - enjoying the view and living it up.
Enjoy your week - it's going to be tough but I hope I can make it through next week!!! hehehe Kisses Trish x

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello there.

I just came across your blog while searching for something else, and I noticed that you said you hadn't managed to date your Singer 201K yet.

Well that was a while ago and I'm sure you have dated it by now, but just in case you haven't, you can do it on the Singer website at www.singerco.com by putting in the serial number of your machine (which should be on a little plate screwed to the base of the machine). You can check their pdf date charts which will tell you exactly when and where it was made, how many were manufactured, and the model numbers.

I was just given a family heirloom for Christmas: an absolutely pristine Singer 201K which was made in Scotland, UK on July 1 1953. I'm totally in love with it, and have been out buying new needles and other bits and bobs today.

If you know anywhere I can get the right attachments to make it a treadle machine rather than a hand crank one, please let me know as I'm searching high and low.

I hope you had a great Christmas and have a fabulous new year! And may you and your "baby" spend many happy years together :)

Charlee xx

spiraling said...

Awesome. We just bought one of these at a little antique store near Nowra. Ours wasn't $5 but not far off.

We've given it a clean and polish and oiled the cabinet and it looks amazing. Ours didn't come with that many feet, but it has the electric motor add on from the front of the manual. We're thinking of taking it off, though.

Don't know too much about it yet, we're still researching (plus, we only bought it two days ago) but I know it's made in Glasgow.

Have you had much use out of it?

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I am just in the process of restoring a 201K which was manufactured in 1937 and I was wondering if anyone knew why my treadle might be painted brown instead of what i though would be a traditional black?? Am still researching though and might find the answer.